[rt-users] Can't install the PerlModule 5.8.3?

zhou jian sunzhoujian at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 17 16:41:11 EST 2006

I just simply followed with yum installation as below.
And because we are students and don't have money to
buy commercial support, do you know where can I find
some good document to configure the installation?

http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?RPMInstall
Installation Notes
With yum

RT's three step install procedure:

1) Download the file:
http://campus.fct.unl.pt/paulomatos/rt/repository/3.4.x/rt-3.4.x.repo

2) Copy it to /etc/yum.repos.d/ or

cat rt-3.4.x.repo >> /etc/yum.conf

3) Then type, as 'root':

yum install rt rt-mail-dispatcher

You'll have rt installed in no time... then all you
have to do is configure a few settings as the messages
suggest.

Note: Depending upon which Perl modules you had
installed in the past, you may have to update before
installing via yum. If a whole lot of dependency
errors display when you run yum install, then type the
following:

yum update
yum install rt rt-mail-dispatcher

Without yum

Just download everything to a directory and do:

rpm -Uvh *.rpm

Post Installation Notes

A user pointed me out that he was in such a hurry to
try it out he lost the messages that appeared after
install. He also suggested I created a file with those
messages inside. Meanwhile here they are:

    * rt

cp /etc/rt/RT_Config.pm /etc/rt/RT_SiteConfig.pm

to generate an editable site config file.

You must now configure RT by editing
/etc/rt/RT_SiteConfig.pm and
/etc/httpd/conf.d/rt.conf.

(You will definitely need to set RT's database
password before continuing.
 Not doing so could be very dangerous)

After that, you need to initialize RT's database by
running

/usr/sbin/rt-setup-database --action init \
    --dba root --prompt-for-dba-password

If something goes wrong you can always drop
everything, by executing

/usr/sbin/rt-setup-database --action drop \
    --dba root --prompt-for-dba-password

    * rt-mail-dispatcher

You must now configure somethings by editing
/var/rt/home/.procmailrc,
please read
/usr/share/doc/rt-3.4.4/README.mail-dispatcher.

Upgrading Notes

If you are upgrading, take a look at
/usr/share/doc/rt-3.4.4/README, step 7 (the files
are under /etc/rt/upgrade) and
/usr/share/doc/rt-3.4.4/UPGRADING.

To Do / Future directions

    * Integrate RT3StatisticsPackage as a RPM package
and its dependencies;
    * Provide a sample HTTPS configuration and the
dependencies associated (done);
    * Apply patches to solve current known and solved
problems with RT;
    * Update to new RT release when it's out;
    * Support RT on PostgreSQL;

Although there are some interdependencies among this
list there is in no particular order at the moment.