[rt-users] 3.6.0 speed improvements

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Mon Jul 17 14:33:21 EDT 2006

On Jul 14, 2006, at 6:29 AM, Niels Huylebroeck wrote:

>> # in httpd.conf
>> KeepAlive On
> I've now also turned this on, thanks for the heads-up hadn't noticed
> this before (I run Centos 4.3 and it's disabled by default too)

You absolutely 100% don't want to do this on a busy public web site,
especially one behind a stateful firewall.  Many web clients open up
multiple connections simultaneously and you then end up with a bunch
of servers in keepalive state, where they could be helping others.

for a small load internal application, you won't notice the difference.

and if you have a stateful firewall, all those keepalive state
servers will suck up all the states on your firewall in no time flat.

the redhat folks are not totally wrong in disabling it by default.