[rt-users] Custom Fields query vs. CLI edit syntax inconsistencies

Joshua Colson jcolson at voidgate.org
Thu Jun 22 15:56:12 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 12:31 -0700, Philip Kime wrote:
> I'm not sure that's necessarily a bad thing - the REST syntax for CF
> editing is nice and simple for scripting - the curly brackets would make
> things more complicated to parse and generally use. When I was deciding
> on a format for displaying CFs for the AT REST code, I automatically
> chose "CF_" (changed to "CF-" now to match RT 3.6.0) because it's easy
> to parse in the REST code and easy to edit in the CLI. All that shell
> escaping for curly brackets when you're scripting would make the REST
> interface less convenient to use ...

What if the CLI supported both versions of the syntax? Would that make
the REST code more difficult to maintain?

I agree that the lack of curly brackets makes scripting cleaner but I
spend a few hours hitting my head against the wall to discover that
difference (in the beginning).

Maybe this should be moved to the -devel list.

--
Joshua Colson <jcolson at voidgate.org>