[rt-users] RT flaky under FastCGI?

Adam Bernstein adam at electricembers.net
Fri Mar 10 17:52:31 EST 2006

I've searched the docs and archives, and can't seem to find anyone else
experiencing this problem, so I'm afraid it might just be somehow
peculiar to our setup -- but here goes:

We recently switched from running RT via mod_perl to running it as a
FastCGI, so that we could have two different instances on the same
server.  Everything is configured right and it works fine, most of the
time.  But when first accessed every morning, and occasionally at random
times during the day, we just get a 500 Internal Server Error when
trying to pull up the Web page, and the only thing that fixes it is an
Apache restart.  It's the same problem both in a very old version and a
relatively recent version of RT, though not the most recent.

Just killing the mason_handler.fcgi process has no effect.  Running it
as a dynamic vs. static FastCGI has no effect.  And we get no errors
anywhere I can see, either in the Apache error log or in the RT log
under /tmp.

The system:
    FreeBSD 4.9
    RT 3.4.2 (first instance), RT 2.0.14 (second instance)
    Apache 1.3.33
    Perl 5.8.3
    CGI.pm 3.17
    mod_perl 1.29 (if that matters)
    mod_fastcgi 2.4.2

The recurrence every morning must be related either to the cleaning of
old session data or the stop and start of Apache every night for log
rotation, except we can't replicate it via playing with the session data
and Apache stops/starts during the day, so I'm at a loss.  Are people
running RT under FastCGI with no problems?  Does anyone happen to know
of some bug that would explain this problem, or at least have ideas as
to how to pin it down further?

I'd be much obliged.  Thanks!

      ab