[rt-users] Cannot assign ticket

Kenneth Crocker KFCrocker at lbl.gov
Mon May 8 20:56:04 EDT 2006

William Catlan wrote:
> Kenn,
>
> I appreciate the confirmation that the feature works.  I have tried a
> number of different ways, including the more granular use of permissions
> at the queue level.
>
> Can you share the exact permissions you give to a group to allow them to
> assign an owner to a ticket using People -> Owner driop down, as well as
> the exact permissions you give to a group to allow them  to be assigned
> a ticket?
>
> I think I've tried all reasonable configurations, and it is not working
> for me. My version of RT is 3.4.5 ... what version are you running?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

Will,

    This will take a bit of time to walk thru but, here goes. First, we
create a Queue (meaningful name - of course). Someone who is a superuser
must do this. Then we set up globally (for each person assigned as the
AdminCC of said Queue) one roght only "SeeConfigTab". This allows the
AdminCc to administrate his own Queue. We also set up globally for
"everyone" all the CreateSavedSearch, EditSavedSearch, etc proviliges.).
For global stuff, that's it. Now, create a group and name it for it's
function pertaining to the Queue your going to give it rights to, ie.
Queuename-Technicians, or Queuename-Support, Queuename-users. By
creating groups, you save yourself the redundant effort of setting up
individuals with the same rights to the same Queues. So. create a group.
Then add some members. Remember, you can have any number of groups with
different or the same rights to a Queue. Once you have created the group
and populated it, give each group it's own set of priviliges as pertains
to A single Queue. So you go into Configuration (the same superuser is
doing this), then Queue, pick the Queue, then slip down to group rights
(on the lefthand side of the screen) and click that. These rights all
pertain to the Queue level only so we give everyone the right to see
outgoing mail. Sometimes, depending on the group, we give privilidged
user the right to create tickets (most of our Queue administrators don't
want that. They want only specific groups to have that right). We don't
allow unprivileged users anything. At the Role level (think of a role as
a psuedo group) CC's are watchers (we give them seeQueue, seeTicket,
ReplyToTicket, and Watch). Requestors  are creators of tickets (we give
them CreateTicket, if that hasn't been given to all privileged users,
all of the CC stuff and maybe let them make or see comments, depending
on if they are users or supporter or technicians). AdminCc gets it all
except we don't let them create script or templates (we reserve that
right for the System Administrator - keeps redundant scripts and stuff
off the system). Then there are owners. We consider them the technicians
or supports of a Queue so they get more rights as pertains their work
(Comment on a ticket, create ticket, delete a ticket, own ticket, modify
ticket, take a ticket and all the right given a requestor). Then, we
grant a mix of rights to whatever groups we have created that will
pertain to the Queue, just like we did with the roles (except, of
course, the AdminCc). You can get a list of the rights and stuff on
Wiki. I hope this help you figure it out. OH. Also, at the Queue level,
we NEVER grant an individual ANY rights. Period.  See ya.

Kenn