[rt-users] First Impressions of RT V3.6.0rc2

Nick Metrowsky nmetrowsky at digitalglobe.com
Wed May 24 11:23:11 EDT 2006

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would take a look at RT 3.6.0rc2 this morning to see what it
would take to upgrade from 3.4.4.

On installation, the install required installing two perl CPAN modules
and it failed to do it via "make fixdeps", so I had to do them by hand.
Not a big deal. The rest of the install/upgrade went flawlessly. Let's
just say it was much easier to go from 3.4.4 to 3.6.0rc, than it was to
go from 2.4.x to 3.4.4. I had the software configured and upgraded in
less than 10 minutes.

Logging in, frankly I like the user interface to 3.4.4 better, I think
the lack of shading and borders causes a lot more eye strain, especially
on an all white background. My eyes are not very good and the lack of
definition is really hard on the eyes. Also, because of the much larger
fonts, one needs a 20" screen or larger to get a good display; on
smaller displays one will be either seeing a lot of line wraps or using
the arrow bars on the side and bottom of the screen to move the display
around.

I found the adding of reports was a good addition, as well as validation
in custom fields. I suspect there is a setting in RT_Config.pm that
allows for entering dates in MM/DD/YYYY format. Yes, I know the US is
one of the few countries that use it; I personally prefer the DD/MM/YYYY
format, but I am in a minority here.

I like the Ticket Quick Search option

Some bugs I noticed. Links do not show up in Asset Tracker (v1.2.3) and
the "Tickets per day per Queue" screen for RTx::Statistics (v0.1.8) does
not display anything, but the spreadsheet does. All the other
RTx::Statistics functions work. RTx::Matrix and RTFM seem to work, but I
really did nothing but display things.

I did not do an extensive test like create tickets, manipulate assets,
etc, but I did a cursory look at the software. All in all this looks
like a great upgrade, but I would give folks the option to keep the
3.4.4 style interface or use the interface introduced in 3.6.0rc2.

Take care!

Nick

---------

Nick Metrowsky

Consulting System Administrator

303-684-4785 Office

303-684-4100 Fax

nmetrowsky at digitalglobe.com <mailto:nmetrowsky at digitalglobe.com>

DigitalGlobe (r), An Imaging and Information Company

http://www.digitalglobe.com <http://www.digitalglobe.com>

---------