[rt-users] Performance on PostgreSQL

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Fri Oct 13 10:53:25 EDT 2006

On Oct 13, 2006, at 12:18 AM, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> Strongly recommend:
> 	* newer RT
> 	* newer Pg (8.x before 8.1.4 had some specialness)
> 	* vacuum analyzing your postgres instance.

Also make sure your Pg is tuned properly for the size of your DB.
See recent discussion in the postgres general mailing list (some tips
came flying by earlier this week.  Also see http://www.varlena.com/
GeneralBits/Tidbits/annotated_conf_e.html.

I personally bump up the shared buffers, work mem, sort mem,
checkpoint segments, and appropriatly set the effective cache size.

If you're still running slow after bumping these up (and applying my
indexes, mentioned earlier), you should profile your overall system
to see where the bottleneck is.  I'll vote it is your disk drives.
At least use SATA...

Our primary RT install is running on a Dell PE 1850 with hardware
RAID1 on a pair of SCSI disks which can support 80Mb/s sustained read/
write speed. With several tens of thousand tickets, it is quite
snappy.  We even run it over SSL.

Our configuration of software is FreeBSD 6.1 + apache + fastcgi for
RT.  RT makes zero use of mod_perl's advanced features, and fastcgi
is much easier to get working right.