[rt-users] pages hanging

John Smith johnsmith at fluiditysoftware.com
Sun Oct 15 22:12:10 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm very new to administering an apache/RT server and need some help.

My machine is running Ubuntu6.06 and I installed request-tracker (RT)
as described here: http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?UbuntuInstallGuide
As part of the installation for RT, I installed apache2 and users get
to my machine using ssl (https). My machine is connected to the
internet via Verizon dsl.

Local access to RT on the machine via https works perfectly. There are never
any hung pages.

Remote access to RT on the machine very often causes pages to hang. For
example, I will click on a link to a ticket and the progress bar goes about a
third of the way at the bottom of a web browser with some of the page's content
showing up. I have further tried to debug the problem by copying the html
of one of the pages and accessing it directly (i.e. not going to RT for
the page) and the page always loads without ever hanging. So, I assume
the problem has to be in the machinery of RT and some configuration
mistake I have made.

I cannot figure out any pattern to this since it is intermittent (though often) and I'm very confused. I've looked in
/var/logs/apache2/*.log and all appears to be correct.

Where should I start? What should I look at next?

RT uses postgres to store data. How can I determine if its an apache2 problem
or a postgres problem or an RT problem? For the moment, I'm assuming its not a
postgres problem because local access is working perfectly well.

Thanks for any help,
John