[rt-users] Re: [RTusers] managing Spam

Brian Gallew geek+rt at cmu.edu
Sun Oct 22 05:16:31 EDT 2006

The quick answer to this question is: Bulk Updates are your friends.  Of
course, this presumes that there is some identifiable characteristic
that you can use for searching that won't make you look at every ticket
in the system.

As many have mentioned, we use various spam filtering methods and still
end up with spam tickets (just like our regular mailboxes).  To make
dealing with this easier, at our site we've done the following:
1) Created a queue named "Possible Spam".
2) Modified the "N newest unowned tickets" display to have a "SPAM" link
right next to the "Take" link.  Clicking that link moves the message
into the SPAM queue and immediately returns you to the "RT at a Glance"
view.
3) Added an action to the list available when viewing a message
(Comment, Resolve, Take, Steal, SPAM,...).  It behaves as in #2.
4) Added a cron job such that every night, any tickets in the Possible
Spam queue are deleted.
5) Added a cron job such that every night, any tickets which have been
deleted for more than 30 days a shredded.

At this point I should put in a request to have some callback entries
sprinkled around generously so that it's a little easier to add such
stuff without copying vendor-supplied pages into the local tree.  But
I'm not complaining, it was pretty easy!