[rt-users] Importing data from a legacy system

Schultz, Eric ESchultz at corp.untd.com
Tue Sep 12 12:12:23 EDT 2006

> I want to know best practice of importing ticket data,
> including history,
> from a legacy ticket system into RT.
>
> I wrote:
> >> How should I import ticket history into the
> >> Transaction table without risking me kneecaps?
>
> John Doe <remailer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The command line rt tool is probably your best bet.
>
> I can probably use the rt CLI to import the main ticket data
> into RT, but
> I can not figure out how to use it to import history from the
> legacy system.
> Is it possible? How do you do it?

When I imported data from our legacy system, I did not bother with
trying to import individual transactions into RT.  Rather, I just
included the entire content of the legacy ticket's history as one
transaction in RT.  What advantage do you hope to gain by importing
history one transaction at a time?

Also, I used:

use RT::Ticket;
use RT::Interface::CLI qw(CleanEnv);

Rather than trying to muck around with the rt command-line tool.  This
gave me more flexibility with custom fields and the like.

Eric Schultz
United Online