[rt-users] RT MAil address option?

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 18 15:33:36 EDT 2006

At Monday 9/18/2006 03:01 PM, Kenneth Crocker wrote:
>To all,
>

>         I have a user that sent an E_mail to another user and
> referred to an RT Ticket and address. The ticket he entered existed
> (resolved, in fact) in a different Queue than the address he
> entered with the ticket. Consequently, the correspondence was
> received by the user, but RT placed said correspondence with the
> ticket he typed, not the Queue. I figured that was reasonable,
> since all attachments hang onto the ticket object by design. The
> user said that RT should have caught the error and refused to
> update the ticket due to the fact the ticket wasn't in the address
> he entered. My question is this, is there someway to configure RT
> to reject the correspondence update due to the fact that the ticket
> number entered was NOT in the RT address also entered? If anyone
> has done this, please send me some instructions on how. Is this an
> option I missed in RT Essentials? Does anyone think it is a good
> candidate as a correspondence update option? Thanks.
>

>Kenn

Hello Kenn,

I think your first instinct -- "I figured that was reasonable" -- was
correct! What about the poor user who just wants to send mail to an
existing ticket that, unbeknownst to him, has moved to another queue?
He'd have to get a message saying "sorry we've moved your ticket, you
now have to send replies to this new address", and he'd have to
resubmit his message. And if in the meantime, the queue had been
changed again, he'd get another refusal message and have to resubmit again.

I think you really, really  want to give your customers a consistent
reference point for their tickets, and that has to be the ticket number.

Steve