[rt-users] [ITIL] RE: [at-users] Triggering a new ticket on custom field change

Torsten Brumm torsten.brumm at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 29 02:58:13 EDT 2006

Hi Tim, RT/AT Users,

from the ITIL process i think it can only be point 1, that RFC's has to be
stored inside RT, because of AT is the CMDB and a RFS is changing only a
asset inside the CMDB, but it is still a RFC and not a Asset. So what we
need is the ability to change the asset after the RFC is commited and done,
at its best per script.

Torsten

2006/9/29, Tim Wilson <twilson at buffalo.k12.mn.us>:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Please forgive the cross-post from the AT list. It seems appropriate
> given the topic. (Orginal thread included below for context.) The
> question below deals with the proper place to store requests for change
> (RFCs) in an RT/Asset Tracker system.
>
> My original plan was to create a new Asset Type in AT for RFCs. Todd
> and Torsten think that using tickets for RFCs make more sense. I'm
> prepared to be convinced either way. Here are some pros and cons as I
> see them.
>
> RFCs in Asset Tracker
> =============
> (+) more true to the ITIL CMDB concept
> (+) easy links between RFCs and other Assets (Configuration Items in
> ITIL-speak)
> (-) no scrip support
> (-) no support for longer form text data
> (-) no file attachments
>
> RFCs as tickets
> =========
> (+) scrip support
> (+) file attachments
> (+) new RFC creation via email or other API
> (-) possible conceptual discontinuity between "tickets" and RFC
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone else who's considered using RT
> this way.
>
> -Tim

> <003501c6e2d3$10990b40$61fd3f0a at dew04141>, "Torsten Brumm"
> <torsten.brumm at kuehne-nagel.com> wrote:
> > Hi Todd & Tim,
> >
> > from my point of view, i think Todd is right, an RFC is bound to a
> Asset but
> > don't need to exsist inside the CMDB.
> >
> > Btw: In the RT Users Group a small Sub Project ITIL starts and i
> think it is
> > a good idea also to CC the RT- Users for this, i'm not sure if all
> involved
> > RT- Users are also inside the AT List.
> >
> > And i think RT together with AT is the perfect tool to support the
> ITIL
> > process.
> >
> > @Tood: What do you think about the Date Fields for a asset as i wrote
> into
> > your Wishlist? This is import for most items, how hard is it to code
> this
> > into AT?
> >
> > Mit freundlichen Gruessen / With kindest regards
> >
> > Torsten Brumm
> >
> > Kuehne + Nagel
> > Ferdinand Strasse 29- 33
> > 20095 Hamburg