[rt-users] RT 3.6.3 web interface problems

Mike Friedman mikef at ack.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 12 22:19:34 EDT 2007

I'm still trying to track down the cause of an error that's generated when
I use the simple search facility, e.g., the 'Search' box at the top of my
Home Page.

In Firefox, the message is this (a pop-up):

    ist-rt-dev.berkeley.edu has sent an incorrect or unexpected message.
    Error Code: -12263

                [ OK ]

(where 'https://ist-rt-dev.berkeley.edu' is the URL by which I access RT).

I have noticed something interesting that might relate to this.

The session cookie that RT is issuing to my browser looks like this:

         RT_SID_80

Yet I'm coming in via port 443 and RT should be using $ENV{SERVER_PORT} to
construct the cookie value.  Which now causes me to wonder about something
in RT_SiteConfig.pm which didn't exist in 3.4.5 but appears in 3.6.3.
Namely the $WebPort variable.  The comment in RT_SiteConfig.pm says this:

    # If we're running as a superuser, run on port 80
    # Otherwise, pick a high port for this user.

Now I'm running as a non-privileged user, but I'm on a 'virtual private
server' behind an external web server proxy that listens on port 443.
Since RT_SiteConfig constructs $WebURL using $WebPort, I had to get around
this by the following:

1.  I set $WebPort to 443  (not necessarily useful)
2.  I set $WebURL to the actual URL, which is "https://ist-rt-dev.berkeley.edu"

I don't think $WebPort is being used in this case, but I had to set it to
something!  Meanwhile, it appears that $ENV{SERVER_PORT} is still
returning '80', because that's what's showing up in the cookie value.

So, I'm wondering if this discrepancy (not necessarily the cookie value
itself) is somehow connected to my problem.  It's beginning to look like
under some circumstances, RT is doing internal Redirection improperly,
causing the Firefox message shown above (and causing Opera just to hang
completely).

Any comments on the above?  I'm currently supporting two other RT systems
(at 3.4.2 and 3.4.5) and I've not had this kind of problem.

Thanks.

Mike

Mike Friedman                        Information Services & Technology
mikef at ack.Berkeley.EDU               2484 Shattuck Avenue
1-510-642-1410                       University of California at Berkeley
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~mikef  http://ist.berkeley.edu