[rt-users] ACE to Suppress History display

Gene LeDuc gleduc at mail.sdsu.edu
Thu Apr 19 20:00:23 EDT 2007

Thanks for your suggestion, Ruslan, but it still gives our users way too
much to think about.

This project lets users request a DNS entry for a server.  The user fills
out a web form, some sanity checking happens, and then if it looks good php
sends the formatted data to RT via e-mail.  A ticket gets created in our
DNS queue.  The user gets an e-mail saying that we've opened the ticket and
we get an e-mail alerting us to the new ticket.  The user's e-mail has a
link to the ticket plus a random password if it's the first time we've seen
him; if he already has an account in RT then he can reply with RESET to get
his password reset and mailed back to him (because he's probably forgotten
it).  Once we've added his server to the DNS zone files, we close the
ticket either by replying with OK to our e-mail or by setting the status to
resolved using the RT web interface.  Both cases generate an e-mail to the
user telling him that the DNS entries have been made.

When our user clicks on the link in his e-mail, we do not want him seeing
the e-mail that came from php, the custom field transactions that we use to
trigger scrips, the OK reply e-mail from us, the RESET replies from him, or
anything else that is likely to generate a call asking for an
explanation.  All we want him to see is the filled in fields of the ticket
so he knows that it exists, that it has a due date, and that the due date
is still in the future.  Anything else is going to generate unwanted calls,
wasted explanations, and probably suggestions as to how he could put
together a neat little MS Access program that would do it better.  In order
to avoid all this we want to control what he sees - and in this case it
means hiding everything that shows up under History.

The rights I've given are these:
   Requestor (Global) - SeeCustomField, SeeQueue, ShowTicket
   Everyone (DNS Queue) - CreateTicket, SeeQueue
   Requestor (DNS Queue) - ReplyToTicket, SeeQueue, ShowTicket

(I don't know why I ended up with SeeQueue and ShowTicket for Requestor in
both Global and Queue contexts, but it works and I got tired of messing
with ACLs.)

With the above rights, the user can see all of the stuff we don't want him
to see in the ticket.  He sees the original e-mail (highly formatted for
regex parsing) which he won't understand, the transactions for the custom
fields, the status change from new to open, and possibly our OK and his
RESET replies with all the quoted text that we were too lazy to remove.

What I've done is comment out parts of the SelfService/Display.html code so
that the History part is skipped.  This was the only way I could figure out
to keep the user away from the History stuff.  The beneficial side effects
are that his tickets display much faster and I don't see "[crit] Mason"
errors in my logs when he clicks out of the display page before the history
finishes displaying.