[rt-users] [initialize database] Segmentation fault Problem

Randy Thompson rthompson at handmark.com
Mon Apr 23 10:58:51 EDT 2007

Kevin Falcone wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2007, at 2:57 PM, Randy Thompson wrote:
>
> Hi Randy
>
>> I've successfully gone through the steps to do a manual installation of
>> rt-3.6.3.  However, I've run into a problem during the `make
>> initialize-database` phase.  I get a `Segmentation fault` during the
>> creation of the RT_System user.  Command output:
>>
>> /usr/bin/perl //opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action init --dba root
>> --prompt-for-dba-password
>> In order to create or update your RT database,this script needs to
>> connect to your mysql instance on bo01 as root.
>> Please specify that user's database password below. If the user has no
>> database
>> password, just press return.
>>
>> Password:
>> Now creating a database for RT.
>> Creating mysql database rt3.
>> Now populating database schema.
>> Creating database schema.
>> Done setting up database schema.
>> Now inserting database ACLs
>> Done setting up database ACLs.
>> Now inserting RT core system objects
>> Checking for existing system user...not found.  This appears to be a new
>> installation.
>> Creating system user...make: *** [initialize-database] Segmentation
>> fault
>
> I've seen this happen on solaris machines, but I don't think you've
> mentioned
> what platform you're using.
>
> If you're on solaris, you want to have a look at the docs around
> @LogToSyslogConf in /opt/rt3/etc/RT_Config.pm and add
> (socket => inet) to your RT_SiteConfig.pm
>
> -kevin

Hi, Kevin,

Thanks for the reply!  You're right.  I should have said what platform I
was using (Linux).  I managed to get the configuration worked out
thanks to a combination of information I got from Don Beethe and some
additional information on-line.  I just couldn't see the forest for
the tree thanks to a 12-hour day.  Don got me pointed in the right
direction.  I replied to the list so the changes I made should be available.

Thanks, again, to everyone who responded!

Randy Thompson