[rt-users] Re: Using RTx::shredder (v0.06)

Ruslan Zakirov ruslan.zakirov at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 17:24:44 EDT 2007

> How can I use RTx shredder (v0.06) to do the following:
>
> Permanently remove users and tickets?  The tickets have been deleted, but do I
> need to remove it from the database?
No need in general case, as I know most users of a shredder cleanup
spam using it or tickets with big mail loops.

> http://search.cpan.org/dist/RTx-Shredder/sbin/rtx-shredder has some syntax,
> but I'm not 100% certain on how to proceed.
>
> Does the below example permanently remove tickets from the queue "General" even
> though the tickets have been deleted? (ie. status,deleted)  Additionally, does
It's exactly shredder's task to delete records from the DB, however
shredder writes dumps so you can restore things.

> this reset the ticket numbering?  (ie. remove #11-20, next new ticket is #11,
> 12, and so on)
no, it doesn't. You can do it using DB's features, but I don't
recommend it as it wouldn't allow you to restore tickets from dumps.

> rtx-shredder --plugin 'Tickets=status,deleted;queue,general'
this call delete 10 (see option limit) tickets in general queue with
status equal to deleted.

> And does rtx-shredder --plugin 'Users=<USERNAME>' remove the user?
yes, however it deletes only disabled users.

> I like to be certain of the syntax before touching the database, thank you for
> your help.
I recommend people to be accurate, but I did tried to write this tool
as safe as possible, it had bugs, in all cases that were bugs related
to leaving some info in the DB, but not deleting more than you ask.

> Regards,
>

> Mike

> Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.

Best regards, Ruslan.