[rt-users] CFs in Templates?

JB Segal jb at smarterliving.com
Thu Dec 13 13:15:04 EST 2007

Quoth Stephen Turner (sturner at MIT.EDU):

> At Thursday 12/13/2007 12:07 PM, JB Segal wrote:
>
> >So how does this mesh with the below-quoted Template Field
> >'CustomField-<id#>'? It _looks_ like that's just supposed to Do The
> >Right Thing, but it obviously doesn't.
> >
> >Oh! Or is this a poor naming thing, and really the template field
> >should be named something more like CustomHeader or some such?
> >
> >JB
>
> I think there's some confusion with the term "template". The word is used for two completely different
> areas of RT functionality:
>
> 1. To describe predefined outgoing email message specifications (as in Config -> Global -> Templates)
> 2. To define data-upload format (Tools->Offline)
>
> The code Gene posted relates to 1 whereas the CustomField-<id#> specifier relates to 2.

I don't think that your last sentence here is right...
The 2nd wiki page I mentioned,
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/Template
says in part:
What fields can at Template have?

A template can have a large number of fields. Look at the article
Template_Fields for more information.

What if I want to override a Global Template for one of my queues?

Templates are attached to Scrips by name - meaning that if you define a
Queue Template with the same name as a Global Template, when a Scrip is
triggered it will use the Queue Template instead.

One example would be to create a Queue Template called 'Correspondence'.
The various global Scrips that use the Correspondence template will use
our new template, not the global template of the same name.
 = = =
and the 3rd line of my quote links to my 1st linked page,
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/Template_Fields

Now, it's not impossible that the content of Template_Fields is
incorrect, as this IS a wiki and all that, but either the page needs
some SERIOUS correcting, or someoneone thinks that this is supposed to
be part of an email-generating system.

Either's fine by me, but I'd really love to know which. :)

JB

--
JB Segal                 617-886-5575            www.smartertravel.com
Systems/Network Admin.   465 Medford St. Ste 400 www.bookingbuddy.com