[rt-users] Search Results ... Found vs. Shown

Todd Chapman todd at chaka.net
Tue Feb 6 11:11:58 EST 2007

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 10:58:37AM -0500, Mat W wrote:
> Scenario... User creates a search that is "Status = Resolved"... Result
> says Found 14 Tickets, but only 1 is shown.  Since the user only has access
> to one queue, he only sees the 1 resolved ticket in that queue.  I
> understand it...
>
> So my question is, what's the easiest way to make the Found # jive w/ the #
> of tickets shown for the search?  Logically I have an idea what to do, just
> not sure where to go poking around.  Plus I'm a bit cautious now that the
> system is in use.
>
> Thanks all for the help.

Mat,

The issue is performance. When RT does a count of tickets
in a search result it counts the rows matching the criteria.
But RT rights are granted on a per ticket basis using
various roles (Owner, Requestor, Cc, AdminCc). To get
an accuract count RT would have to ask if the user is
allowed to see every ticket in the result. On some RT
systems that would be unacceptably slow.

To get a tru count you have to overrid RT::Tickets::Count to
loop through the tickets and see if the users has ShowTicket
right for each one.

-Todd