[rt-users] Re: RT 3.6.3 Mandatory CF's

Philip Kime pkime at Shopzilla.com
Wed Feb 7 19:39:10 EST 2007

Eric Schultz wrote:

> I thought that using the current interface, if you wanted to make
something non-
> mandatory, you could just wrap a '()?' around it (not including
quotes)?  I'm pretty
> sure I've seen that posted to the mailing list as well.

You can, but when you try to make sure the other interfaces (REST,
Email) obey mandatory fields, you find that you really need to code
mandatory and format enforcement in different ways and at different
places so it makes sense to split it up. Also, conceptually, a mandatory
field is a completely different thing from a field of a certain format.
For auditors, seeing a checkbox saying "mandatory" is a whole lot more
convincing than a match-all regexp (if they even know what a regexp is
...).