[rt-users] Multiple queues for single ticket?

Dirk Pape pape-rt at inf.fu-berlin.de
Tue Feb 27 03:54:55 EST 2007

Hello,

--Am 26. Februar 2007 20:28:42 -0700 schrieb Kelly Jones
<kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com>:

> We sometimes get tickets that require actions by people in queues X,
> Y, and Z. The three queues are otherwise unrelated. The ticket has
> "intertwined" requests: if the admins of queue X take a certain
> action, it will affect what the admins of Y and Z need to do.
>
> Ideally, the ticket would belong to all three queues: X admins would
> see it as "native" to queue X, Y admins would see it as native to
> queue Y, etc. X admins could see comments made by Y and Z admins, and
> so on.
>
> Is there a way to do this?

this is afaIk not possible in RT.

What we do is:

Have and leave the ticket in one Queue. This is for the management overview
and we call such Tickets "Metatickets" and use them for compound tasks
(what you are looking for) and for problems (in the language of ITIL) to
refer to incidences and evidences of a problem.

For each subtask we create a new ticket in the queue where the subtask
belongs to. You have options here:

a) you can use the depends-on-depended-by-relationship
b) you can use the parent-child-relationship

in fact we use both in different contexts (a=real dependency and
b=composition).

Have the AdminCCs work on their subtasks.

Managers can look at the "Metaticket" and see the tree of
dependencies/childs together with their statuses in the metadata of the
metaticket.

Resolve the metaticket in accordance with the status of the subtasks. You
can even automate this with a Scrip (we don't) or create a approval
workflow (we dont) with this.

Regards,
Dirk.

--
Dr. Dirk Pape (eAS - Projektleitung Campus Management)
Freie Universitaet Berlin