[rt-users] Generating readable Reports (accent problem/encoding)

Fri Jan 12 14:55:30 EST 2007

> Whenever there are characters with accents, such as "á" (aacute), my
> reports come out with "á".

This is probably a conflict between RT, which likes to use UTF-8 for
everything, and whatever you're using to display things, which probably
uses Latin-1.

Whether this is a bug or not can vary.  For example, if you take a mail
message which is (correctly) marked as being UTF-8 and look at it with
a text display program, the display program normally will not parse
mail headers and thus won't realize it's looking at UTF-8 text.  But if
you use a mail user agent to look at it, it's much more reasonable to
consider it a bug if it doesn't handle the header markings correctly.

> I took a look at the database and the accented characters where all
> weird like the example above.
> The RT web interface is fine and e-mails are fine too.

This is exactly what I'd expect: the Web browser, and the email client,
are handling UTF-8 correctly, but whatever you used to display the
output of your database query was not.

> I don?t really know wether it is a Perl problem, or a MySQL problem,
> an RT bug etc...

Based on just your descriptions, I'd say it's most likely a bug at the
human-expectation level. :-)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca