[rt-users] Re:Configuring Apache for RT

Tom Payerle payerle at physics.umd.edu
Tue Jul 17 11:37:31 EDT 2007

Although not probably directly relevant to John's question, and not
specifically an RT issue, if you are using SSL you should also set
the following in apache (at least 1.3.x versions, but I think applies
to 2.x versions as well)

SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
        nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
        downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

in the section for SSL enabled virtual host or similar location.

(see http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC49)

Apparently IE (up to at least version 6) has bugs (who'd imagine:)
related to SSL and HTTP keep-alive.  Had an RT setup all ready for some
final beta testing before roll-out and my Windows beta testers found it
essentially unusable.  Users would try to access pages and/or submit
forms and sometimes would work, but frequently would get "Page could not
be loaded" errors in IE.

Was several months (and only after seeing similar
behavior in another web app) before I stumbled across the above page.
(And unfortunately lost our "migration window" and still do not have RT
set up.  Maybe in the next six months:)

--
Tom Payerle
Dept of Physics                         payerle at physics.umd.edu
University of Maryland                  (301) 405-6973
College Park, MD 20742-4111             Fax: (301) 314-9525