[rt-users] Couldnt open File 'sessions.MYI' in /opt/rt3/var/session_data

John Schubert johnschubert at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 18:58:44 EDT 2007

BINGO!!  That's all it took.  2 weeks of down time to
do about 5 minutes of work. You might ask, "How did
they put up with it?"  New manager had gone behind me
and started development of a ticketing system within
our Sales database.  Also, I had tons of other things
to get done.

Anyway, here's what it took to fix it.

1.  Clean out /var partition.  I am not a mail guru.
I can do /etc/aliases and basic admin but not really
good at configuring and this is a machine no one logs
into (so no checking mail).  Mail had filled up /var.

2.  Stopped Apache.  I didn't want anyone trying to do
things while I was recovering.  Using a typical
redhat, it was: /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl stop

3.  Dropped table called sessions.
[root at localhost john]# mysql -p  #entered password at
prompt

mysql> use rt3
Database changed
mysql> DROP TABLE sessions;

4.  Create the fixed version, which Google found the
command for here:
http://www.netrifuge.com/rt/etc/schema.mysql

mysql> CREATE TABLE sessions (
    -> id char(32) NOT NULL,
    -> a_session LONGTEXT,
    -> LastUpdated TIMESTAMP,
    -> PRIMARY KEY (id)
    -> );

5.  Started Apache ( /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl
start), opened up IE (felt the earth shudder), typed
in the URL and, PRESTO!

My description is a little different, but RT seems ok.
 Here is what my description of 'sessions' looks like
with that command.

+-------------+-------------+------+-----+-------------------+-------+
| Field       | Type          | Null | Key | Default
        | Extra |
+-------------+---------------+------+-----+-------------------+-------+
| id          | varchar(32)   |      | PRI |
        |       |
| a_session   | longtext      | YES  |     | NULL
        |       |
| LastUpdated | timestamp(14) | YES  |     | NULL
|       |
+-------------+---------------+------+-----+-------------------+-------+
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

So, for now all is well.  Now to go back and do the
tutorial on DB back up and do it myself, and then
figure out how to automate pushing it to another place
on an all Microsoft shop (on which I have no
permissions anywhere).

Thanks again to everyone.

Regards,
John