[rt-users] RT 4

Atro Tossavainen atossava at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue Jun 5 03:35:21 EDT 2007

[Thanks for not cc'ing me explicitly, one copy via the list will do just fine.]

> well, whether it sucks or not, when you give your staff access to some
> software, they begin using it, that's all - then when you detect weaknesses
> in the soft,

As far as I can see, the weakness, as you call it, is not intrinsic
to RT, but should be addressed at the Web browser level, and as Toby
Darling already pointed out, there is an extension to Firefox that
solves the problem in a much more global manner.

I don't know about you and/or your users, but I practically never use
the RT web interface to answer tickets - I use email nearly 100% of
the time, precisely because I have much better tools available for
writing email (including, but not limited to, support for temporary
saves and therefore crash resistance).  Attempting to address this
issue in RT is, in my opinion, simply not the right place to do it.

(Of course I should mention that our RT is configured so that every-
body in the IT support team get copies of new tickets and all ticket
correspondence in their email already.  I do realize doing this would
be impractical or even impossible with a wider support personnel base
and/or significantly larger amounts of ticket traffic.)

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,