The RT wiki and a small flame (was: Re: [rt-users] Creating tickets from external form)

Steve Holmes sholmes42 at mac.com
Tue Mar 6 13:30:44 EST 2007

I wish the wiki were easier to use. I'm not a complete noob to RT, but new
enough that I'm not comfortable updating the wiki especially since I rarely
can find what I am looking for. For example, I don't know what REST is. I go
to the wiki and put REST in the search field and get 3 pages of links, most
of them have nothing to do with REST (I still haven't found the relevent
article) and I can't take time to go through them all to find it.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just frustrated with the wiki.
Steve Holmes.

On 3/5/07, Roy El-Hames <rfh at pipex.net> wrote:

> Mario;
> Adding new field to the tickets table is just asking for trouble, if not
> now for sure when its upgrade time.
> CF are the way to go, and instead of using form action you'll be better
> of using REST and the rt cli ..
> have a in the wiki about REST and how to use it.
> Roy
>
> Mario Gomide wrote:
> > Hi there!
> >
> > Since nobody answered and I haven't found a reasonable solution, I'm
> > asking again...
> >
> > I'm thinking of creating a static field (from wich I can fill from an
> > external form as described before), and create a field on the Ticket
> > table.
> > Any other (better) ideas? Can I do this without affecting the rest of
> > the system?
> >
> > I appreciate your help.
> >
> > Mario Gomide
> >

> > Mario Gomide escreveu:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I use some external application to generate service requests.
> >>
> >> This application posts its contents to RT via an html form. That
> >> means that the contents are passed via URL as follows, for example:
> >> <form
> >> action="
> https://my.rt.site/rt/Ticket/Create.html?Queue=int&Subject=Text&Content=text
> "
> >> method=GET>
> >> Then I get to the Create.html page to fill in other fields and
> >> confirm the creation, which means that I can't use "create by mail"
> >> (unless I can confirm and fill in other fields).
> >>
> >> How do I pass custom field values through the URL? My custom fields
> >> are in all the queues, so I don't have to worry about de
> >> queue-dependancy of each CF.
> >>
> >> Thank you very much!
> >>
> >> Mario Gomide
> >>
> >> Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com
> >> Commercial support: sales at bestpractical.com
> >>

> >> Discover RT's hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O'Reilly Media.
> >> Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com

> > Community help: http://wiki.bestpractical.com
> > Commercial support: sales at bestpractical.com
> >

> > Discover RT's hidden secrets with RT Essentials from O'Reilly Media.
> > Buy a copy at http://rtbook.bestpractical.com

I believe I found the missing link between animal and civilized man. It is
us. -Konrad Lorenz, ethologist, Nobel laureate (1903-1989)

We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by
the majority who participate. -Thomas Jefferson, third US president,
architect and author (1743-1826)