[rt-users] Workflow question: RT on both ends of a ticket

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 08:47:58 EDT 2007

Carl Vincent wrote:

>> I think he has separate queues but wants the email response
>> going out of
>> one of the queues to be accepted back into a different queue where it
>> will reach the right people.  If you had different RT instances you
>> could find the different RT names in the subject line and each could
>> have different ticket numbers, but I don't think there is a
>> handy way to
>> do this in a single instance.  You can manually move the
>> ticket into the
>> right queue before responding (if you have rights to do both),
>> but then
>> it becomes a special case instead of just replying.
>
> Thanks Les, that's exactly the situation - one RT instance, two queues,
> two groups of people dealing with them, but they want to communicate as
> they would with "external" people.
>
> Is there any mileage in writing a filter outside RT to rewrite the
> headers? I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard to have a filter before
> rt which takes a subject like:
>
> [Netskills #1234] {Netskills #1236} Workshop booking details 10 Apr
>
> and translates it to:
>
> [Netskills #1236] {Netskills #1234} Workshop booking details 10 Apr
>
> before passing it on to RT. Would that be worth a go do you think?

One approach would be to make a 3rd queue that has the combined set of
users (fairly easy if you manage the users by putting them in groups and
then using the groups for the queue permissions and watchers).  It
wouldn't be completely transparent because you would either have to
create the ticket in this new queue or someone would have to recognize
the sender and push it there, but after that the right things would
happen.  On the other hand, depending on the relationship between the
groups you might not want them both to have complete access to the
ticket (one end may want it closed before the other, etc.).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com