[rt-users] RT 4

Jan Grant jan.grant at bristol.ac.uk
Wed May 2 04:40:12 EDT 2007

On Tue, 1 May 2007, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> If, for the sake of argument, Best Practical were to rewrite RT, what would
> you want to see in the new product?

Keep the decent layered architecture.

(Obviously) a _complete_ REST or other remote api. (I like the
simplicity of the REST model.)

Extend externally pluggable authnz: in two minds about that. I'd like to
get closer integration of the group management in particular with our
LDAP service here (which is built around the OID provisioning tools).
However, there'd be nothing to stop me from integrating closely already
using the existing capabilities of OID's provisioning tools, IF group
membership were manageable via a remote API. The external authn is
already good.

Query model: it'd be nice to get full text search out of the box. The
stock query builder is the thing we get most complaints about from our
users, and is the thing that'd benefit most from closer web-client
integration.

Tidy up some of the loose ends: better integration of custom fields with
the mailgate, for instance.

Namespace management: eg, being able to configure per-queue custom
fields in a per-queue namespace.

Perhaps "queue groups" for the above.

Some finer-grained SeeQueue/QueryQueue rights. We typically turn off
"SeeQueue" for our users in order to manage the front-page clutter (a
hundred queues is a lot) - but we'd really like them to be able to raise
tickets and query across all queues. So, some approach to this - possibly
using UI-specific rights on queues to manage the default home-page
widgets; possibly just having some better parameterisable UI widgets.
"Queue groups" might help here.

> Think big.

When and only when the above are addressed :-) the "think big": we're
using RT in anger here - the application of technology to solve people
problems :-) - to stop requests between teams from dropping on the
floor; looking at it to manage requests for access to e-science grid
systems; and a whole bunch of other kinds of things. Lots of folks want
RT set up in different ways - eg, a "closed shop" where users are all
preregistered or a more traditional outward-facing setup.

That typically means multiple RT instances. However, by having lots of
RT instances, you lose a lot of the benefit of having all your queues
under one system. I don't have a design for this, or even more than a
vague "it'd be nice" feeling, but it'd be nice to have some kind of
inter-RT-instance capability: even if that just means divorcing the UI
from the instance and having one UI capable of fronting several RT
instances together.

Cheers,
jan

--