[rt-users] Creating a customer drop-down multi-select menu with a remote SQL query

mike mike at bseder.org
Tue May 8 16:04:27 EDT 2007

Howdy,

Still trying to feel my way around RT, and couldn't find a definitive answer
in any of the docs/wiki...what I aim to do is enforce some consistency in
customer names used in the Subject lines of tickets...I figure this should
make things like reporting chronic issues/customers with endless problems
rather simply if they're all listed the same rather than the multiple
abbreviations that get used.

I've written a quick and nasty 5-liner in Perl that queries a MySQL table on
a different box, and returns a complete list of customer names.  Assuming
that these names will live in a drop-down custom field that allows
multi-selects, how would I kick off this script and feed the results in to
that drop-down?  I'm trying very, very hard to not sledge this directly in
to the RT code itself, but to bolt it in based on the current frame-work so
that future ugprades won't be as much a trainwreck as our last one was (due
to lots of customization inside RT itself).  Any clues or steers in the
right direction would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

One way or another, everyone stops bleeding.