[rt-users] Groups For Unprivileged Users

Kenneth Crocker KFCrocker at lbl.gov
Mon Nov 5 12:26:40 EST 2007

Arun & Kevin,

	I understand what your asking about and the truth is the whole point
behind an "unprivileged" user is that they have NO rights. Then, of
course, we ALLOW them to have rights via the system group
"Unprivileged". What we did to deal with this was to ignore the concept
of "unprivileged" completely. For us, the concept of an Unprivileged
user is SOOOOO limited in our environment that it (as a system group)
really doesn't exist. If we want any type of user to be able to see the
history of a ticket, resolved or not, then we grant "SeeTicket",
"SeeOutgoingEmail" to GLOBAL Requestors. That way ANY person that made a
request could always look at the ticket they created without seeing
anyone elses (we also don't allow any requestor to see comments, EVER).
If we have a certain number of similar "Unprivileged" requestors, we
create a group for them and put their ID's in the group and grant
extremely limited rights to that group globally or to whatever queue
they need to see, in essence, the "unprivileged" becomes "Privileged".
  That does mean there are more groups than some would like, but we can
define/refine the usage we allow to our RT queues much better. The only
individuals that are granted rights on an individual basis is me and my
backup (as "SuperUser"). Everyone else is in some group or global role,
etc. Hopes this idea helps.

Kenn
LBNL