[rt-users] Outgoing email - using external smtp

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Fri Nov 16 12:07:30 EST 2007

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 11:50:52AM -0500, Keith wrote:
> Yeah, I've got postfix running on the test server I have right now and
> I think I've figured out how to have RT using it. I'm just trying to
> see if the other solution is possible. Don't want to have a program
> running on a publicly accessible server if I really don't have to.
> Just trying to make my own job easier. :)

So, RT has the ability to send mail via SMTP directly, _however_ we
strongly recommend against the use of this feature because of something
RT _doesn't_ have. -- an outgoing mail queue. Whcih means that if
something goes wrong, the message may be dropped.  Setting up sendmail,
postfix or qmail to "smart host" to your ISP's mailserver doesn't
require running a daemon listening for connections from the outside
world, just a local queue running daemon, which should cut down on
potential security issues.

Best,
Jesse