[rt-users] Outgoing email - using external smtp

Keith pdragon at pdragon.net
Fri Nov 16 13:08:10 EST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 12:44 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Keith wrote:
>
> >> So, RT has the ability to send mail via SMTP directly, _however_ we
> >> strongly recommend against the use of this feature because of something
> >> RT _doesn't_ have. -- an outgoing mail queue. Whcih means that if
> >> something goes wrong, the message may be dropped.  Setting up sendmail,
> >> postfix or qmail to "smart host" to your ISP's mailserver doesn't
> >> require running a daemon listening for connections from the outside
> >> world, just a local queue running daemon, which should cut down on
> >> potential security issues.
>
> > Ahhh ok. While I've gotten postfix up and running myself a few times,
> > i'm still fairly new to it, which is why I was asking if there was
> > this other way to do this. Thanks for your reply!
>
> Redhat-style distros (RHEL, fedora, CentOS, etc.) come with a default
> sendmail setup that only accepts connections from the local host.  If
> you are using one of those you should only have to set SMART_HOST in
> sendmail.mc and restart sendmail - although in most situations you would
> probably want the ability get inbound replies back to RT unless another
> box is doing that.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell at gmail.com

I'm actually running Ubuntu LTS 6.06. We were looking to replace our
existing ticketing software and so far RT is the winner. Looking to
deploy it next year when the new LTS comes out (8.04). I've not done
anything with sendmail before, just postfix. Right now I have RT using
postfix's sendmail replacement on my test server and it looks to be
working ok. Can't actually receive any mail notifications because the
test server does not have a valid domain and our external mail
provider is just bouncing it. Outside of the bounce error in mail.log,
it looks to be working fine so far, though.