[rt-users] Outgoing email - using external smtp

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 12:44:28 EST 2007

Keith wrote:

>> So, RT has the ability to send mail via SMTP directly, _however_ we
>> strongly recommend against the use of this feature because of something
>> RT _doesn't_ have. -- an outgoing mail queue. Whcih means that if
>> something goes wrong, the message may be dropped.  Setting up sendmail,
>> postfix or qmail to "smart host" to your ISP's mailserver doesn't
>> require running a daemon listening for connections from the outside
>> world, just a local queue running daemon, which should cut down on
>> potential security issues.

> Ahhh ok. While I've gotten postfix up and running myself a few times,
> i'm still fairly new to it, which is why I was asking if there was
> this other way to do this. Thanks for your reply!

Redhat-style distros (RHEL, fedora, CentOS, etc.) come with a default
sendmail setup that only accepts connections from the local host.  If
you are using one of those you should only have to set SMART_HOST in
sendmail.mc and restart sendmail - although in most situations you would
probably want the ability get inbound replies back to RT unless another
box is doing that.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com