AW: [rt-users] RSS Feed Permissions/Authentication problem (Repost)

Torben Nehmer torben.nehmer at cancom.de
Wed Nov 21 02:48:11 EST 2007

Hi there,

>> does anybody have any idea here, would it be possible to move the
>> RSS streams to HTTP Basic Authentication?
>
> In advance, I apologize for not having tested this myself with RT. The
> following is just wild guessing but it's probably the way I'd try to
> go if I had to (and I actually do so in other frameworks):
>
> You could try to retrieve the RSS data "off-line" by means of some
> command-line tool. Then let your WWW server do the authentication.
> I am using a method called screen scraping by means of Perl's
> WWW::Mechanize. WWW::Mechanize is old but still does a good job.
> http://www.google.com/search?q=WWW%3A%3AMechanize+Screen+scraping

This is an interesting idea, I will think about this.

Nevertheless I would prefer it, if RT would support HTTP Basic Auth for RSS Feeds out of the box, it shouldn't be that hard to implement (if one knows RT and Perl that is ;-)). I doubt, that the RSS feeds are useable within the average RSS client across the board, except perhaps the browser-integrated ones where you explicitly authenticate yourself beforehand. But then, if I have to go to the RT site to use the RSS feeds in the first place, many of the RSS advantages are gone. Let alone the usability problems for the average management guy...

Yours,
Torben Nehmer

-------
Torben Nehmer
Diplom Informatiker (FH)
Business System Developer

CANCOM Deutschland GmbH
Messerschmittstr. 20
89343 Scheppach
Germany

Tel.: +49 (0)8225 - 996-1118
Fax: +49 (0)8225 - 996-41118
torben.nehmer at cancom.de
www.cancom.de

CANCOM Deutschland GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Jettingen-Scheppach
HRB 10653 Memmingen
Geschäftsführer: Paul Holdschik, Christian Linder

Diese E-Mail und alle mitgesendeten Dateien sind vertraulich und ausschließlich für den Gebrauch durch den Empfänger bestimmt!
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential intended solely for the use of the addressee!