[rt-users] Seeking users of RT's "Rights Delegation"

Benjamin Weser weser at osp-dd.de
Mon Sep 24 03:18:52 EDT 2007

I've set up our RT with Delegation even if I'm not so sure if this is
the best solution for our problem.

We are developing in different groups in several countries and a lot of
"manager" are also included in the process of bug tracking, decision
making etc. since this is a joint venture and many many people are
involved in the process. The goal was to find a tracking system for
change requests where managers can create tickets and see the process of
working (at least the replies), developers should work on the ticket but
not create some and some "team leaders" should assign tickets to
developers and also change them to "resolved" after verifying the work
of the developers is done. Another hurdle is that some manager should
see queue A, B and D, another one B, C and F and another one all of them
etc. Same for different developers and team leaders. No Delegation is
needed so far since you could assign all the rights to different people
if you like but I think this would get really messy soon if everybody
has different globally rights. And my boss wanted me to set up
possibilities for different Queue Admins (I call them Quads ;) ) which
should be able to add people to their queues, assign them rights etc so
the responsibility for each queue lays in the hands of each Quad. This
is why I used Delegation then.

To avoid a lot of trouble if somebody will leave the company or somebody
else should be responsible for a queue and all rights have to be
transfered I created a "non-personal" account for each queue, called it
Quad<Queuename> and gave it all rights of the specific queue. Think of
it like a root account on a UNIX system for which I can give away the
password to the responsible person. Within each of these accounts I
created three personal groups: CreateTicket (for managers to post their
requests or bugs etc, they can only create tickets, see the queue and
ticket and reply), WorkOnTicket (for all the developers, they can reply,
comment) and TeamLeader (they have almost all admin rights, can
take/steal/assign/resolve tickets).

So with this setup each Quad account can be used to administer one
queue, add people or global groups (like DevelopersTownX,
DevelopersTownY, VIPManager), remove them etc.

Well I'm still not so sure if this was the best solution but at least it
is a solution for our splitted system here. It only gets very annoying
when it comes to changes within the queues which can't be done globally.
I have to login to each queue with the Quad account, make the changes,
logout and login with the next Quad for each queue. The more queues I
have the worse it gets. Right now we have ten queues but since it works
now, not so many changes take place anymore. The big advantage of this
system is (in my point of view) that I have a better overview over the
rights of each queue. I don't have to give rights globally, for queues
and several people. The global groups I mentioned above
(DevelopersTownX, ...) have no rights at all but work as a nice
collection. If a new developer joins the team I only have to add him
globally to this group and he will get the rights of the personal group
of a Quad to which his global group was added in a queue.

I hope you all understand this complex behaviour and didn't describe it
too confusing. If I did, just ask for further description. Or also
please tell me if you know a better (and less complex) way to manage all
these requirements.

Cheers,
Ben