[rt-users] RFC: Splitting the signature off from the main text in replies/comment?

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 12 09:17:07 EDT 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 06:08:45 -0400, Jesse Vincent
<jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:

>> *) Sometimes, you do not want to have a signature on replies
>> If I could decide when to attach a signature and when not would
>> solve these.
>
> I, personally, have never run into that issue. I've never even seen a
> mail client with that option.
> IIRC, this is the first time in over a decade of releasing RT that
> I've heard the feature request. Could you talk about some actual use
> cases where this is an issue?

We've actually implemented this feature for our Help Desk. Phone calls are
a frequent contact method, and our consultants summarize the conversations
in ticket replies. Having been a part of the phone conversation, the
customer doesn't necessarily need to receive an email copy of the reply,
but we do want to allow them to see the reply in the ticket. So we provide
the option of suppressing email for any particular reply, and also the
option of inserting a signature.

In fact, through a queue preference, the HD queues' defaults are not to
send mail on replies, and not to include a signature. If consultants want
to send a reply to a customer, they check a box, and optionally insert a
signature.

Making this possible is transaction-level squelching, a custom enhancement.

Steve

--
Stephen Turner
Senior Programmer/Analyst - SAIS