[rt-users] Problem upgrading from 3.6.1 to 3.8.1

Ole Craig ocraig at stillsecure.com
Tue Aug 19 19:24:55 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 17:29 +0200, panu at colorplaza.com wrote:
ALTER TABLE Templates MODIFY Content BLOB CHARACTER SET utf8 NULL
> DEFAULT NULL;
>
> I don't see anything wrong with that line.

Panu -
    Don't know about your other problem, but I ran into this SQL burp in
four or five different tables while going from 3.6.0 to 3.8.1rc5. MySQL
doesn't like the CHARACTER SET directive for a field of type BLOB. These
lines should probably be changed to specify TEXT instead of BLOB (or you
could remove the 'CHARACTER SET utf8' directive if you know the fields
in question are used to store binary data instead of text.)

    Looking at my database, Templates.Content is definitely TEXT.

    Oh, and one other thing to watch out for -- the sql.queries file
that I got out of running "etc/upgrade/schema.mysql-4.0-4.1.pl"
contained some destructive transforms that I had to change. Several
multi-character fields were temporarily transformed into type CHAR,
which truncated them to a single character. Check your sql.queries file
(e.g. 'grep " CHAR " sql.queries) and make sure you're not hitting the
same thing; in my case, one of the fields that was thus truncated was in
fact this same Templates.Content field. RT's templates don't work so
good when they consist of only one character. :-)

    (And of course, you should reload the pristine 3.6.1 database
snapshot and start all over again after editing the sql.queries file.
But you knew that. :-)

	Cheers,
		Ole

-