[rt-users] Desired: autoreply to commentors' email addresses (not requestors)

David Eyers dme26-s23 at srcf.ucam.org
Sun Aug 24 11:41:59 EDT 2008

I suspect this is trivial to achieve, but haven't found where to look.

In some cases I'm feeding rt-mailgate from a shell script. The shell
script creates an email "From:" header for a valid email address (for
terminology's sake let's call such an address an "emailer"), however
"emailers" will frequently not be the ticket requestor.

Ideally I'd like to have a confirmation email sent by RT to each
"emailer" directly after RT has successfully completed the scripted
rt-mailgate invocation that was made on that "emailer"'s behalf. The
"emailers" don't necessarily play any further part in the process, so
I'd prefer them not to become, e.g., Cc's on the ticket as a whole. I'm
not sure if a scrip / template can easily get at the "From:" of a
particular comment transaction made on a ticket.

I could get something to work by constructing an "emailer" reply if
there appear to be no errors from the rt-mailgate invocation. However it
would be best for RT templates to be used, since then our existing RT
user/group authorisation structure can be put to work appropriately for
this task (e.g. editing the message that gets sent).