[rt-users] Emailing (=contacting users) via RT?

yosmc stefan at creativitypool.com
Fri Dec 12 14:01:53 EST 2008

I feel silly for asking this question, but I've searched the Net and the RT
wiki and just couldn't find the answer.

Basically I wanted to use RT to actively contact a user. Makes perfect
sense, because on occasion it's not users reporting problems or bugs, but
support wanting to contact users to notify them of something they have
observed. Only, for the life of me I just can't get it done! When I create a
ticket, it's basically treated as an *incoming* message towards the queue.
And I can cc: the person whom I want to contact, but that doesn't look good
at all.

So in a nutshell do I have to operate an MTA alongside RT to be able to
contact users of the system? And if I do, how can I cleanly integrate that
into an RT helpdesk thread? Because if the outgoing message doesn't have any
RT tags, the system will thing the reply is a help request and sent out an
auto-reply ("thanks for creating a ticket" and all that jazz). I'm really
somewhat confused by now and wondering what I may have overlooked. Any help
would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Stefan