[rt-users] (Very) Low-level CF question

Joe Casadonte joe.casadonte at oracle.com
Fri Feb 29 14:21:21 EST 2008

On 2/29/2008 1:50 PM, Kenneth Crocker wrote:

>     Hypothetical situations could involve endless debate, especially if
> they are based on an unrealistic scenario. Not to offend nor sound too
> incredulous, but why would anyone name ANY custom fields the same names
> for different applications/uses? Why not just prefix the "queue-based"
> Custom field with the queue name "xxxxxx-Foo"? Sure would stop a lot of
> confusion and you wouldn't need to be asking the question.

It's actually for a very practical purpose -- having a commonly named
CF, with queue-specific values.  In my case, I have a SubCategory CF,
which exists in each queue, but each queue has its own values.  It works
great, really.

The hitch is: I want to be able to choose the SubCategory CF via the
list box in the Tickets search form as one of the output columns.  The
only way to do that without first choosing a queue is to have a global
CF with the same name (and I've already taken care of hiding the global
field from view on ticket creation and viewing the ticket).

I can get around the need for all of this by going to the Advanced tab
and typing in "CustomField.{SubCategory}" as one of the results column,
but I don't want to have to explain over and over again how to do that
to my user base.

Once I get this last piece working, I'll be writing it up for the Wiki.

--
Regards,

joe
Joe Casadonte
joe.casadonte at oracle.com

== The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not ==
== necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.               ==