[rt-users] What criteria do you use when deciding the number of instances of RT?

Kenneth Crocker KFCrocker at lbl.gov
Thu Jan 10 13:41:44 EST 2008

To all,

	I work in the IT division and we only have one instance and it is used
primarily for keeping track of requests for maintenance, custom work,
etc. for our many (over 50 queues) software applications. I have
developed an approval (ticket review and prioritization) and QA
(Acceptance testing) "workflow" set of scrips and templates and it works
great. However, there are so many other areas here where RT could be
helpful. Being in Tech Services and the Sys Admin of our only version of
RT, do I keep it to myself or spread the joy? From that perspective, I
have to agree with Bob Goldstein. It really depends on the priorities of
your department. Does the company have other departments where someone
would be capable of administrating another instance of RT? Are there any
chances that tickets from one instance might want/need to be transferred
to another? What kind of differences/customizations would be needed
between instances? I suggest doing an analysis of those subjects and any
others you might come up with and prioritize their values and decide
from there. I'm going with the one instance. That way, I can control
what customizations are made to our one instance. If I ever get a
department that has radically different needs and requirements, then I
might want a different instance. For me, redundancy is usually a
maintenance nightmare and I don't like designing or creating unnecessary
work. But hey, that's me. Good luck!

Kenn
LBNL