[rt-users] Add to a particular RT ticket/thread via email based on subject line

Peter Collins pcollins at ipapplications.com
Wed Jul 23 18:54:52 EDT 2008

Hi, it's been a while since I used RT and I'm not sure if I'm wording
this question correctly, but...

We have a decrepit ticketing system tied to a good monitoring system.
When a machine or service goes down, it creates a ticket and sends a
page and email.

I want to start using RT here, and have our old ticketing system email
tickets into RT. The problem is, How can RT recognize 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc
updates from the old system and add them into the same ticket thread?

Like:

Old system sends an email to RT with its own ticket number in the
subject line.

RT creates at ticket. So far so good.

Old system has an update,such as the problem is trending down, or up, so
it sends another email with the same ticket number in the subj line.

RT creates a NEW ticket, right? how can I get RT to read that ticket
number from the old system and add the comment to the original ticket?

thanks in advance,

Peter