[rt-users] Dependencies, Status and visibility.

Tom Lanyon tom at netspot.com.au
Mon Jun 23 08:43:02 EDT 2008

On 23/06/2008, at 7:41 PM, Roger Gammans wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want to make it easy to pick out the tickets which are in
> workable on more easily as many of our tickets are stalled
> waiting other tickets, among other things (such as more
> correspondence, or an customer appointment).
>
> In some cases this is captured by making a ticket is dependent
> on a different ticket. Has any written any scrips which
> auto-stall tickets which have resovled dependencies and
> the unstall when all the deps are resovled.
>
> Or does someone have a better way of achiveing this?
>
> TTFN

When a ticket is awaiting a reply or has no further action from us, we
set it to stalled. If such a ticket is waiting on another ticket, we
add the appropriate dependency.

We have a scrip that activates when a ticket is resolved that opens
any of its stalled dependencies and we use rt-crontool to
automatically open any stalled tickets which haven't been updated for
1 week. This helps us to follow up on tickets which were stalled
waiting customers to get back to us.

There's other simple things like using a custom searches to exclude
tickets other than 'new' or 'open' so we get to focus only on tickets
that are actionable, and having custom colours highlight tickets with
different statuses so we can easily pick out the 'new' tickets.

Hope this helps.

ps. The only thing we haven't solved so far is that our rt-crontool
search excludes tickets with dependencies, because we don't want to re-
open or follow up on tickets that are still waiting on other tickets.
This works well, except that TicketSQL doesn't seem to be able to
distinguish between resolved and unresolved dependencies, so stalled
tickets with resolved dependencies get missed and unactioned! I figure
I'll have to write a custom RT::Search module to fix this.