[rt-users] Clicking a link brings me back to login page

Matthew Seaman matthew.seaman at thebunker.net
Wed Mar 5 01:50:26 EST 2008

Juan Mas wrote:
> Thanks Kenn.  Your solution worked.  I uncommented the WebSessionClass
> in SiteConfig.  SetupSessionCookies already had the line in the code.
> Does anyone know any pros/cons to this setup?  Thanks.
>
> -Juan
>
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Kenneth Crocker <KFCrocker at lbl.gov> wrote:
>> Juan,
>>

>>         I've found that this is more common than I thought. There are at least
>>  a couple possible reasons, one has to do with setting up your sessions
>>  table (MySQL) and the other has to do with how FireFox and IE handle
>>  cookies along with Apache. This is how we handled it:
>>
>>         1) make a change in RT_SiteConfig.pm
>>         "Set($WebSessionClass, 'Apache::Session::File');"
>>
>>         2) Set SetupSessionCookies overrides (type "vi SetupSessionCookies"
>>  <enter>); as follows:
>>
>>         Modify "my $session_properties;" by adding "Transaction   => 1," to the
>>  code at end before the "else" line."
>>
>>         This did it for us, but we don't use the DataBase SESSION Table.
>>         Hope this helps.

Part (1) of this keeps session data in files under $RT_HOME.  It should
work fine, so long as you only have one web front-end.  It won't be as
scalable if you build up thousands of session files in the same directory[*]
due to the time taken to find the needed file in the directory listings.

An alternative is to alter the database schema:

ALTER TABLE sessions MODIFY a_session longblob ;

See: http://lists.bestpractical.com/pipermail/rt-users/2008-January/049583.html

Which is necessary as I understand it where you have a default
character set of utf8 such that certain data when treated as text
expands it to 3 bytes per character.  Treating it as a binary blob allows
it to be retrieved unaltered.

Part (2) is part of the distributed RT code nowadays, and that patch no
longer needs to be applied.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Running a cron job to reap old session data, whether on disk or in
the database, is a good idea.

--
Dr Matthew Seaman                     The Bunker, Ash Radar Station
PGP: 0x60AE908C on servers            Marshborough Rd