[rt-users] How to flag neglected tickets for support engineer response??

Darren Nickerson darren at dazza.org
Mon May 12 13:53:20 EDT 2008

Folks,

We've been using RT for some time now, and have managed to get by with pretty much a stock configuration. Our support reps are starting to get lost in a sea of tickets though, where only the most recently 'alive' tickets get attended to, and lots of important ones drop off their radar. We're looking to take advantage of some of the fancy hooks, bells and whistles that are possible due to RT's open architecture.

Our objective is to flag tickets that require a support engineer response somehow. Our criteria for determining which tickets require a response might be, for example, tickets where the last comment or correspondence was not from someone in the RT group "Support". In theory, that would mean that the customer (or other interested parties in the cc: list) were the last ones to update the ticket, and the ball is now in our court.

Our preliminary research suggests that we might be able to invoke RT::Search::FromSQL from rt-crontool and use that to locate tickets matching the above condition, and "do something" to those tickets.  We're not sure what "do something" means, but it might mean setting a custom field (Ruslan says custom statuses are bad ;-)) or something similar. Where we really hit a wall is how to prioritize these items in the "RT at a glance" page as needing a response from us. Is it possible to colorize the tickets red, perhaps?

Essentially what we need is a 'Customer Pending' and 'Support Pending' designation that will allow us to flag "Support Pending" tickets for support engineer attention. This seems like a common problem ... does anyone have any recipes/solutions/tips that might help? All advice welcomed!

-Darren