[rt-users] FastCGI: incomplete headers (0 bytes)

Erich Weiler weiler at soe.ucsc.edu
Fri May 16 13:58:48 EDT 2008

Greetings all-

So, I recently moved our RT application from  CentOS 4.6 (32 bit) to a
new machine running CentOS 5.1 (64 bit).  It's RT 3.6.6.  Installed all
the perl stuff and compiled FastCGI just fine.  I imported the MySQL
database and everything seems great, users can log in and browse, change
tickets, etc.

However, we're seeing this odd thing happening now.  Whenever someone
tried to create a ticket through the RT web interface, it pauses for 2
minutes, then returns a '500 Internal Server Error'.  I looked at the
apache error logs and saw this:

[Fri May 16 10:17:46 2008] [error] [client 23.66.56.35] FastCGI: comm
with server "/usr/local/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi" aborted: idle
timeout (120 sec), referer: http://barnyard/Ticket/Create.html?Queue=23
[Fri May 16 10:17:46 2008] [error] [client 23.66.56.35] FastCGI:
incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server
"/usr/local/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi", referer:
http://barnyard/Ticket/Create.html?Queue=23

Weird thing is, if you go back to the RT home page, the new ticket is
there!!  But it's a pain to have this error, we don't want folks to have
to wait 2 minutes and get an apache error, then go back to the RT home
page after that.  It's got to be something with FastCGI but I can't
figure out what....  Here's the apache configuration include file for
FastCGI:

FastCgiIpcDir /tmp/
FastCgiServer /usr/local/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi -idle-timeout 120
-processes 8
FastCgiConfig -restart

I've seen a few other posts with people having similar FastCGI problems
- can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks a million!

-erich