[rt-users] Problem with initialize RT's database

Shannon Adams shannon_adams68 at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 11:12:25 EDT 2008

When I type:
/usr/sbin/rt-setup-database --action init --dba root --prompt-for-dba-password

... I am prompted for a password.  I have entered the "root" password, left it blank, and used the password set in /etc/rt3/RT_SiteConfig.pm -  however, no matter what I try the following error displays:

DBI connect(';host=localhost','root',...) failed: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) at /usr/sbin/rt-setup-database line 105
Failed to connect to dbi:mysql:;host=localhost as root: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) at /usr/sbin/rt-setup-database line 105, <STDIN> line 1.

Is this an error because I am not using the correct password?  Here are my /etc/rt3/RT_SiteConfig.pm settings:

Set($DatabaseUser , 'rt_user');
Set($DatabasePassword , 'rt3p at 55');

Thanks,
Shannon