[rt-users] email ticket updates...

Greg Evans gevans at hcc.net
Wed Nov 5 18:09:30 EST 2008

Hello all,

I am feeling quite dumb today (that's just an FYI) and am not sure what I
might need to do to implement updating tickets via email, but there are some
caveats to that.

The workflow is as follows (on a typical ticket)

Customer calls into after-hours support
Ticket is created and given an ID in their proprietary ticketing system
Ticket is sent via email to my RT installation and created in the queue for
our after-hours group and assigned a ticket number

This is working properly, the issue comes up when the following happens

Customer calls into after-hours support
Ticket is created and given an ID in their proprietary ticketing system
(Let's say ticket #GX-9943-Y)
Ticket is sent via email to my RT installation and created in the queue for
our after-hours group and assigned a ticket number (HCC #56093)
Customer calls back to after-hours support regarding the same ticket
Ticket is updated in their proprietary system
Ticket is sent via email to my RT installation and created in the queue for
our after-hours group and assigned a ticket number (HCC #56095)

What I would like to have happen is that when they are doing an update on
their end, it will also update on my end. So I don't (sometimes) have 10
open tickets for 1 customer with a single issue.

In thinking about this so far, it would seem that the only thing that could
be common between the two tickets would be some information in the subject
line such as the ticket number from their system (because if we did it by
name, we'd get only one long ticket over the course of time.

Is there a way that when a ticket comes in via email I can look to see if it
has some information in the subject so it will just update the already
created ticket? They have access to our system and can
look/create/update/whatever any ticket they choose, but we are trying to
avoid the techs having to do double entry.

Any insight is appreciated.

Greg Evans
Hood Canal Communications
(360) 898-2481 ext.212