[rt-users] email ticket updates...

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at oddbit.com
Thu Nov 6 09:45:00 EST 2008

> Is there a way that when a ticket comes in via email I can look to see if it
> has some information in the subject so it will just update the already
> created ticket?

Create a custom field called something like "external ticket id".

Add an "On Create" scrip such that when email comes in from the
proprietary ticket system:

(a) The scrip extracts the ticket id from the email.

(b) The script searches for a ticket that has the same value in the
"external ticket id" field.

(c) If it finds a matching ticket, the email is appended to the ticket, or

(d) If it does not find a matching ticket, a new ticket is created
with the "external ticket id" field appropriately populated.

Having not actually tried to implement this, I'm a little uncertain
about the specifics of (c).  You may find that this step means "copy
the email content to the target ticket, and then mark the current
ticket resolved/deleted/etc".

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at oddbit.com>