[rt-users] New user considering to use RT + FreeBSD port for 3.8

Angelo Turetta aturetta+rt at bestunion.it
Fri Nov 7 11:28:04 EST 2008

Joe Mailinglists wrote:
> Hi Angelo,
>
> My name is Krishna...I am subscribed to too many mailing lists, hence a
> separate email address for every mailing list.

Thanks, that's a good habit (look at my address), but I nonetheless like
to know who I'm talking to. The name need not be fake, even if the
address is.

> Our primary concern here is the upgrade procedure and of course
> stability.  Will everything magically work from one port
> to the other?

Every upgrade is a sensible operation, no matter how you installed the
software. The biggest challenges are upgrades involving DB schema
changes,  RT is a shining example of how to do it right, but you cannot
expect to do such a thing 'magically': based on your business continuity
policies, you may even need a test installation to validate the upgrade
before deploying it on a production system.
The port of rt38 by Philip M. Gollucci is actually the first which seems
to allow for a comfortable upgrade to future versions.

> Can I just download rt38 port from the link you mentioned and install
> it?  Is it stable enough?  One of the users was
> suggesting that I install it from source.  What do you suggest?

The freebsd port infrastructure is a solid one, and it is one of the few
way you have to keep the dependencies sane if you install more than one
application per system. I personally don't like to install software from
source other than by using a port, but I have to admit that previous
versions of the rt port where somewhat unfriendly.
The rt38 port is not yet finished, so you should be prepared to some
non-pleasant surprise, but it has much more solid structure than
previous ones.
Only you, based on your expertise with the ports collection, can decide
which way to go. If you try the port, please try my patch attached to
the PR.

Angelo.