[rt-users] This is my first attempt to install RT on Ubuntu 8.10 desktop with fastcgi and nginx 0.6.32.

Jim Neundorf jneundorf at wwsys.net
Tue Nov 11 07:08:00 EST 2008

Here are the steps I've taken:

STEP 1 RT configure script:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/rt \
--enable-graphviz \
--enable-gd \
--with-web-handler=fastcgi \
--with-db-type=Pg \
--with-db-host=localhost \
--with-db-port=5432 \
--with-db-rt-host=localhost \
--with-db-dba=postgres \
--with-db-database=rt \
--with-db-rt-user=ldc \
--with-db-rt-pass=ldc4ever \
--with-web-user=daemon \
--with-web-group=daemon \
--with-rt-group=daemon

* Note nginx runs as user daemon, group daemon

STEP 2 ran:

make testdeps (ran without issues)
make intitialize-database (ran without issues)

* Note at this point I assume rt is installed correctly

STEP 3 /etc/init.d/rt script:

#!/bin/sh

RTPATH=/usr/local/rt
RTUSER=daemon
FCGI_SOCKET_PATH=$RTPATH/var/session_data

case $1 in
    start)
        echo -n "Starting RT: mason_handler.fcgi"
        cd $RTPATH
        export FCGI_SOCKET_PATH
        su $RTUSER -c perl bin/mason_handler.fcgi &
        echo
        ;;

    stop)
        echo -n "Stopping RT: "
        PIDS=`ps axww | awk '/[m]ason_handler.fcgi/ { print $1}'`
        if [ -n "$PIDS" ]
        then
            echo -n kill -TERM $PIDS
            kill $PIDS
            echo
        else
            echo RT not running
        fi
        ;;

    restart|force-reload)
        $0 stop
        $0 start
        ;;

    *)
        echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/rt { stop | start | restart }"
        exit 1
        ;;
esac

* Note this deviates slightly from the recommendations at
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/FastCGIConfiguration which suggested
FCGI_SOCKET_PATH=$RTPATH/var/appSocket.  There was no appSocket
subdirectory so I used session_data instead.  I also ran:

chown -R daemon:daemon /usr/local/rt/var/log
chown -R daemon:daemon /usr/local/rt/var/session_data
chmod -R 775 /usr/local/rt/var/log
chmod -R 775 /usr/local/rt/var/session_data

STEP 4 Ran the /etc/init.d/rt script

/etc/init.d/rt start -> Starting RT: mason_handler.fcgi
/etc/init.d/rt stop  -> Stopping RT: RT not running

This is where I'm stuck - I can't seem to get the mason_handler to run
and I don't see any output in the /usr/local/rt/var/log directory.

I would really appreciate any insights on what I can do to move past
this point to get RT up and running.  Thanks.